Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
Will this accelerate depreciation of petrol/diesel cars over the next couple of years on the basis that they will become more expensive to run and therefore less desirable to the majority of people?
Yes, is the short answerr.

I would imagine that this will follow a similar pattern to the post-CO2 taxed market from 2008. After that, the market for anything with a large engine from pre-'08 or above 190g/km from post'08 pretty much dried up. Going forward I'd guess that they will stack some tax of the basis of what EU Emissions standard the car meets (and progressively increase that through the '20's) and then some taxes based on efficiency (possibly based on CO2/NOX outputs) and usage (fuel usage).

From a manufacturers perspective I'd expect to see the number of single fuel ICE cars diminish fairly rapidly from 2021-2022 as the models that are substantially electric being designed now start to hit the market and as battery technology advances fairly rapidly, so it mightn't be felt in quite the same way as most of the daily drivers gradually shift towards alternative power or hybrid (with the balance between fuel and electric power in ranges shift towards electric).

Hydrogen fuel cells are the wildcard I would say. If they can overcome the difficulties with storage and build out a distribution network it could be a game changer in terms of what the car of 2030 is.